WMRSASC Privacy Statement and Policy
Our Privacy Principles
We will look after any personal information that you share with us. This is central to our values as an organisation. We want everyone who supports us, or who comes to us for support, to feel confident about how any personal information they share will be looked after or used.
You can be confident that:
- We only use personal information in the ways we need to and that is expected of us.
- We will keep you up to date with our work, including how we are campaigning to improve services, raising awareness, promoting understanding as well as our fundraising activities. But, we only use your personal information to do this if you have previously told us that’s OK.
- We will make it easy for you to tell us how you want us to communicate with you, including how to opt out from future communications – and we promise your request will be respected straight away.
- We will never release your information to organisations outside WMRSASC for their marketing purposes.
- We will be especially careful and sensitive when engaging with vulnerable people or those we have reason to believe might be vulnerable.
- We take all reasonable care to safeguard your personal information through security policies and secure business processes.
- We will always provide easy ways for you to contact us. Our Data Protection Officer is happy to answer any queries you have, at any time.
How we collect personal information about you
We may collect personal information from you when you interact with WMRSASC. There are many occasions when this could happen, for example: if you enquire about our activities, register with us, make a donation to us, ask a question about our services, apply for a job or volunteering opportunity, if you chose to provide some optional feedback or otherwise provide us with personal information. And, this may be when you phone us, go onto our website, through the post, or in person.
What information do we collect?
The personal information we collect might include your contact details such as name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number and credit/debit card details (if you are making a donation), as well as information you provide in any correspondence between us.
We may also collect some information if you tell us about your experience or the experiences of a friend or relative; however, you can decide if you want to remain anonymous or if you are happy to share your personal details.
We also gather general information about the use of our websites, such as which pages users visit most often and which services, events or facilities are of most interest. We may also track which pages users visit when they click on links in WMRSASC emails. We may use this information to personalise the way our websites are presented when users visit them, to make improvements to our websites and to ensure we provide the best service for users. Wherever possible we use aggregated or anonymous information which does not identify individual visitors to our websites.
‘Cookie’ is a name for a small file, usually of letters and numbers, which is downloaded onto your device, like your computer, mobile phone or tablet when you visit a website.
They let websites recognise your device, so that the sites can work, or work better, and also gather information about how you use the site. A cookie, by itself, can’t be used to identify you.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
To remove cookies, follow the instructions of your browser:
For more information please see the Information Commissioner’s Office website:
How do we use personal information?
We may use your personal information to:
- Provide you with the important advice and support you’ve asked us for, whether this be over our helplines, through our information or other important services;
- Provide or administer activities relating to all our services: updating you with important administrative messages, to help us identify you when you contact us, and help us to properly maintain our records;
- Improve your experience with us. We may use your information to enhance the service that our staff provide, to improve our information and communications, or to personalise the website to better suit your needs;
- Analyse the personal information we collect about you so that we can better understand our supporters, their preferences and needs and important trends.
- We may need to disclose your information if required to do so by law, but we will always ask for your consent. We will not pass on your details to anyone else without your express permission except in exceptional circumstances. Examples of this might include anyone reporting serious self-harm or posing a threat to others, children contacting us and sharing serious issues.
- You can of course ask us at any time to change how we contact you, simply contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal information and details of the enquiries received are stored on a secure database for no longer than is necessary for the purposes of its use. We carry out periodic deletion of data whose retention period has expired and/or when the need to continue holding such data is no longer necessary.
Who sees your personal information?
The personal information we collect about you will be used by our staff (and volunteers) at WMRSASC so that they can support you; and possibly to legal and regulatory authorities if required to by law.
We will never sell or share your personal information with organisations so that they can contact you for any marketing activities. Nor do we sell any information about your web browsing activity.
Your information security
We take the security of your personal information extremely seriously. We’ve implemented appropriate physical, technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information we have under our control, both on and off-line, from improper access, use, alteration, destruction and loss.
And, we only keep it as long as is reasonable and necessary, which may be to fulfil statutory obligations (for example, the collection of Gift Aid).
Here are some of the ways we protect your personal information:
- If you provide personal information to us online that information is encrypted for protection on transmission to us. Encryption is the process through which sensitive information is scrambled before it is transmitted so that it remains private even if it is intercepted. However, unless your internet browser supports this you will not be able to take advantage of this level of security.
- Offline, your personal information is kept securely in our databases and offices.
- Our website may contain links to other sites. While we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by other sites. Please be aware that advertisers or websites that have links on our site may collect personally identifiable information about you. This privacy statement does not cover the information practices of those websites or advertisers.
All personal data is collected and stored securely in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998.
How to update or access your personal information
You may ask us at any time to update your details, correct or remove information you think is inaccurate by contacting us. You also have a right to know what personal information WMRSASC holds about you. To update any details or request a copy of your personal information we hold, contact us by:
Writing: WMRSASC, PO Box 240, Worcester, WR1 2LF
Tel: 01905 611655